Wisdom Teeth Removal OttawaAre you looking for Tooth Extraction in Ottawa you can give us a call or contact our Dentists for wisdom tooth extraction & teeth removal in Ottawa.
Tooth Extraction Ottawa
It is always our goal to save your natural teeth. However, there may come a time when it is better to have a tooth extracted because keeping it could create more problems – now or sometime in the future. The most common reasons for that recommendation are disease, severe decay, or serious damage to the tooth. One of the few notable exceptions where a tooth extraction in Ottawa may be done not as a last ditch effort but rather as a pre-emptive measure is an extraction of wisdom teeth.
Wisdom Teeth Removal in Ottawa
The extraction of wisdom teeth is a very common procedure. Why do we extract wisdom teeth more liberally than we do any other teeth? Simply because wisdom teeth tend to cause complications and problems. sooner or later in life. These can include:
- bone loss
- increased risk of cavities (including below the gums, which are difficult totreat)
- bad breath (difficulty keeping themclean)
- cysts or tumours around impacted wisdomteeth
As a preventative measure, it is therefore often better to extract wisdom teeth as soon as possible. It might even be worth considering extracting your wisdom teeth while they are still impacted in your gums.
However, wisdom teeth removal in Ottawa is not always an absolute necessity: if your wisdom teeth are fully emerged and well positioned in your mouth, there is no need to remove them.
Wisdom Teeth Extraction in Ottawa: Age Factor?
Usually, wisdom teeth rear their crowns during young adulthood. This means that people in their late teens and early twenties are often faced with the possibility of wisdom teeth removal in Ottawa. Since wisdom teeth are normally the last teeth to emerge though, this can happen at any age.
If your wisdom teeth have not emerged yet, we would advise you to consult your dentist to see if there is any reason for concern.
Whatever your age, the extraction of wisdom teeth is a routine procedure.
Wisdom Teeth Removal in Ottawa Procedure
Extracting wisdom teeth can sometimes be a little more difficult than removing other teeth, especially when they are still impacted in your gums.
First, your dentist will administer a local anaesthetic to numb the affected area. If your wisdom teeth are still impacted, the dentist will make a small incision in the gum to expose the tooth and bone. The next step is to remove the actual wisdom tooth. Once the tooth has been extracted, the wound will be cleaned thoroughly and closed up with stitches.
Wisdom Tooth Extraction Ottawa Aftercare
Any tooth extraction, whether of wisdom teeth or any other, requires local anaesthetics. For patients with high levels of fear or anxiety, we also offer sedation dentistry options, to make the experience as relaxed and comfortable as possible.
After the procedure, your dentist will go over your aftercare instructions with you. These guidelines should help you minimise the risk of any complications and ensure a smooth and quick recovery:
- eat soft foods and avoid chewing on the side of thesurgery
- rinse your mouth 5-6 times a day with a saltwater solution (not the day of thesurgery)
- take antibiotics (if prescribed) as directed to prevent or treatinfection
It is also important to note that certain symptoms and signs of discomfort are normal after the procedure. These include:
- pain: discomfort and pain in the days after tooth extraction in Ottawa are to be expected. Like with any other surgery, the affected area is a wound that will need time to heal. Talk to your dentist regarding pain
- swelling: swelling is normal after any tooth extraction. It can be not only in the area of the wound but also around your cheeks and even your eyes. You can apply ice packs to minimise the
- bleeding: a certain amount of bleeding is normal. However, please notify your dentist immediately in case of excessivebleeding
- discolouration: discolouration or bruising can occur and last for about two weeks. Again, if you have any concerns, give your dentist a call
Generally speaking, your recovery time from tooth extraction surgery should be around seven days. You may also want to start thinking about “tooth replacement” as soon as possible after a tooth extraction in Ottawa. Talk to your dentist about the various options, from dentures to dental implants (not applicable for wisdom teeth).
Contact Us Today for Tooth Extraction in Ottawa
Whether a damaged or broken tooth causes you pain or your wisdom teeth are giving you trouble, you can count on the experts at College Square Dental to help you. We perform tooth extractions in Ottawa routinely, and we will make sure that your experience is pain-free and as relaxed as possible. If you have any concerns or want to book an appointment, call us today at 613-695-4877.